[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet Lovers delight

Charlie Hooks charliehooks at earthlink.net
Fri May 23 16:10:47 PDT 2003

on 5/23/03 2:12 PM, Stephen Barbone at barbonestreet at earthlink.net wrote:

> remembrances of studying
> with Stefan Wolpe and the then-current jazz scene in NYC. (Other
> jazzers who studied with Wolpe include John Carisi, George Russell, and
> Ed Levy, believe it or don't!)"

    Query: is this possibly (I doubt it) the same Stefan Wolpe as the
contemporary classical composer, Stefan Wolpe, who taught at Black Mountain
in the early fifites (along with Einstein and Oswald Spengler)?  I have
several MMS by the classical Wolpe tht belonged to my late wife, one of his
students in composition at Black Mountain.

Charlie