[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet Lovers delight

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri May 23 16:12:44 PDT 2003

Got this message from Tom Duncan, an e mail buddy. If you like clarinet,
and happen to be anywhere near NYC, don't miss this CLARINET EVENT at
the Iridium. Tony Scott and Buddy DeFranco are LEGENDARY PLAYERS, tops
in the world in jazz during the 50s - 60s. Davern is another GIANT.

I can't tell you how much fun it was to see/hear them all in NYC in the
50s. It was very special. Stefan Wolpe, the teacher referred to is also
LEGENDARY. Tom wrote:

Steve, this may interest you. (I am not sure who the guy is who sent the
original message to him.)

"Hey, guys -- As part of the NYC Jazz Festival next month, the Iridium
is presenting a jazz clarinet bash! It will feature Tony Scott, Buddy
DeFranco, Don Byron, Kenny Davern, Marty Ehrlich, Ronny Odrich, and
Perry Robinson. A sort of "history of the clarinet in jazz" concert.
I've been asked to interview Scott about his remembrances of studying
with Stefan Wolpe and the then-current jazz scene in NYC. (Other
jazzers who studied with Wolpe include John Carisi, George Russell, and
Ed Levy, believe it or don't!)"

The nights are June 17-22. (T-Th, $27.50; F and Su, $32.50; Sa, $35.00;
plus $10 minimum at tables)<<