[Dixielandjazz] Natty Dominique

Jim Denham james at jiming.demon.co.uk
Wed May 7 01:16:58 PDT 2003

In message <102.2ce2b747.2be80f57 at aol.com>, JimDBB at aol.com writes
>In a message dated 5/5/2003 12:43:19 PM Central Standard Time,
>charliehooks at earthlink.net writes:
>
>> on 5/4/03 11:19 AM, Dan Augustine at ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu wrote:
>>
>> >Did any of you folks who lived, played, and/or passed through
>> >Chicago in the 1940's or 1950's ever run into him at the airport (or
>> >elsewhere)? The study of jazz leads one into some amazing corners....
>>
>>   I didn't, but maybe Jim Beebe did.  How about it, Jim?  "Natty
>> Dominique"?  That names sounds somehow familiar.
>>
>>   Chicago had and has so many great characters that we could write books.
>> Come to think of it, Studs Terkel probably already has.
>>
>>   Jim: who was the black tailor who made uniforms for the name bands and
>> used to show up at the Blackstone on St. Partick's day with green bow ties
>> for all the guys in the band?
>>
>>   You and Ingle should have plenty of stories.
>>
>> hold forth!
>> Charlie
>
>   Natty Dominique was before my time on the Chicago scene but I certainly
>recall his fine horn playing via some recordings.
>
>  I remember the black tailor and I remember that he danced up a storm, too.
>
>  I don't have any stories at the moment as I, last night, realized that I
>was running out of an important medication and this involved a lot of hassle
>today with the VA and other sources to get one lousy inhaler to carry me over
>until my regular prescription arrived.  Plus it is the first anniversary of
>my granddaughter, Kaitlyn's death.  So, I am having a panic attack and I am
>in mourning again at the same time.  Maybe, writing some stories will get my
>mind off of all of this.
>
>Jim Beebe

-Natty Dominique...well, is there anyone alive who still remembers him, at
first hand? Probably not. The best we have to go on is second-hand
reminiscences from the likes of Jim Beebe (for which we should be thankful).

Louis, Bix, Bechet, Ellington: they're all gone now, and all we have is the
memories and the records. But what of the lesser-known figures, the Natty
Dominiques, the Frank Teschemachers, the Vic Dickensons's, the Frankie Newtons?
Well, some of us remember them, and still applaud their virtuosity. That is
what this list is about.
Yours,
   -
Jim Denham