[Dixielandjazz] western swing bands revisited

Charles Coleman charliew8fim at ncool.net
Fri May 2 15:51:31 PDT 2003

Hi all.   I'm usually lurking and just reading the mail, but I have a question for the group.  I recently 'junked' a Bob Wills "Back Home Again in Indiana" on Vocalion 03578.   WHO is the tenor sax???   Sounds like an early Coleman Hawkins.   This is one of the hottest Wills sides that I've found.    The first two bars might have been Clarence Williams!  The description says "Stomp Dance".   I know there was quite a bit on western swing bands a year or so ago, so maybe someone can give me a clue.    Regards to all, and I'll crawl back into the woodwork. :-)
    Charlie (de W8FIM - IAJRC - FIGA) Coleman