[Dixielandjazz] Festivals (was: None)

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Sun Mar 23 22:37:00 PST 2003

On Sunday, March 23, 2003, at 10:10  PM, Dan Augustine wrote:

>     On an actual musical topic, i'm typing this on my new little Apple
> iBook in a Howard Johnson's motel in Palm Springs, California, after
> having gone to the Desert Swing'n Dixie Jazz Festival from Friday
> through today.  Heard Bob Schulz and his band, High Sierra, Chicago
> Six, Clint Baker and his band,

Clint has been calling his most recent group the "New New Orleans Jazz
Band" (in tribute to the great Wilbur DeParis organization)

>  (I reminded them about a dixieland band that i used to see advertised
> in a 'rag', playing in the Bay area; it's name was "Big Money in
> Dixieland".)

That is Mal Sharpe's group - he had some fame as a comedian in the
1960s and has been a DJ on KCSM in the San Francisco Bay Area - his
band plays at the "No Name Bar" in Sausalito and they are very
entertaining if not quite very "traditional..."

Dave Richoux

BTW, speaking of entertaining, not quite traditional San Francisco
bands - has anybody else ever heard of "Melody Ann and Her Rhythm
Rascals?"  I have a record by  this group from the early 1980s but have
not seen or heard from her since then. Her father was apparently a
semi-famous trumpeter/band leader but not much is known (or on the
internet...)