[Dixielandjazz] Re: Eddie Condon (was The Visceral Side of Jazz......)

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 22 09:37:23 PST 2003

Dear Bill:

I'm not sure to what he is referring either. I just cut and pasted what he wrote.
He says he was a policeman at the time in question and I would think he would have
to have been at least 21. Since he is now 61, that would place the year no sooner
than 1963.

Perhaps he is a bit mixed up. He is ill and taking pain killers now which may be
affecting his memory. At this point, I do not want to ask him, but it sounds to me
like he referring to the Carnegie 1964 concert.

I do believe that Condon was not the owner of "Condons" but fronting for a mob
figure. Sort of lore during those year which everybody believed. But I moved to
California in 1963 and lost touch with the NY Jazz scene from that point until 1970
when I moved back East.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Cheers,