[Dixielandjazz] Re: Eddie Condon (was The Visceral Side of Jazz......)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Sat Mar 22 15:30:24 PST 2003

Dear Steve,
Regarding the great 'New York City Trad Jazz vignette' from your "new (unnamed)
friend".
He mentions : >When the "Mob" broke Condon's arm I was at the fund raiser at
Town Hall.<
When was this? Sometime in the 1950s, going by your friend's age.
What are the details of this Condon story?
Although my old brain is (was?) full of Condon stuff, I don't recall this story
at all.
The only Condon benefit concert I recall was one at midnight at Carnegie Hall in
July 1964 (shortly after his Australian tour) when they featured the Woody
Herman Herd and Bob Crosby's big band, much to Eddie's initial disgust. But that
was to help with medical bills for his prostate operations.
Kind regards,
Bill.