[Dixielandjazz] Chicago

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Wed Mar 19 22:38:46 PST 2003

In a message dated 3/19/03 7:22:45 PM Central Standard Time,
a.crouch at unsw.edu.au writes:

> Hello Bob
>
> Yes, dull, dull dull.  :-)
>
> We definitely SAW the same movie and were equally impressed - it's what we
> heard that is problematic.
>
> What is not dull?
>

> Hamlisch's use of Joplin's music in Hill's "The Sting"
>

> All the best
> Anton

   I agree that Marvin Hamlisch's use of Scott Joplin's music in "the Sting"
was masterful.  He slowed down "the Entertainer" and scored it as a band of
that era would have done it.  The result was a poignant peice of music that
enhanced the movie greatly.  He did the same with "Solace."   A perfect match
of music and show.

   Jim Beebe