[Dixielandjazz] Gig length [Was: band vs. records]

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Sun Mar 16 20:01:50 PST 2003

At 08:36 AM 3/17/2003 +1000, Richard Stevels wrote:
>... The three hour
>gig went half hour on half hour off ( six hours) alternating with the
>disco,

For new bandleaders just starting out at band booking, a reminder that

1. the length of the gig is the TOTAL time you HAVE to be on site, not the
length of time you are playing. It does not include your setup and
breakdown time, but would include early setup and late breakdown
requirements. I have a stipulation in my contract about the latter--they're
charged at overtime rates.

2. And the amount you charge the client would normally reflect the total
amount of time away from home.

--Sheik