[Dixielandjazz] Geo. Thurmond - short bio - 1st Installment

George Thurmond gmthur at delrio.com
Sun Jun 29 13:32:51 PDT 2003

to OKOM.

        Born in Del Rio, Texas in the fall of 1930, and have lived here
always.  My mother's family all played either piano, violin or mandolin, but
I took after my father's line none of whom could even sing in church, much
less play an instrument.

        Became hooked on jazz when at an early age (pre-school) I became
tired of listening to grand opera on my grandparent's Victrola, and dug some
Paul Whitman and Geo. Olson 12" 78s out of the shelves, and found out about
rhythm.  Can still recall after all these years hearing my first real jazz
recording - "Sugar Babe I'm Leaving", by the Blue Steele band, and my first
electronic playback of a record -  "New San Antonio Rose" by the Bob Wills
big band..

        Never played in a school marching band, but a sax-playing high
school buddy prevailed on me to take up drums in his band.  Learned the
rudiments, and got a kit, and kept time on the ballads and a few swing
tunes.  A jukebox supplier let me poke around in his rooms of record stacks,
and I got into Bob Crosby.  Ray Bauduc became my idol, so I added a
woodblock and a cowbell to the kit, and started a "sorta dixie" seven piece
band.  Made lots of bread playing gigs where we filled the kitty with
requests by the inebriated for "You're Bound To Look Like A Monkey" and
"I'll Be Glad When You're Dead You Rascal You" dedicated to others at their
respective tables.

        Shipped off to undergraduate school in Tennessee in '48, a trip that
took me through New Orleans where I got baptized in the waters of the real
music.

                                                (To Be Continued)