[Dixielandjazz] Sharkey Bonano and OKOM

Jim Denham james at jiming.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 27 01:49:22 PDT 2003

In message <007901c33c34$b94293e0$eaa24bd5 at Berry>, Berry Zand Scholten
<bzssvs at wxs.nl> writes
>Dear Listmates,
>
>I'm new on this list and not aware of all the rules and regulations.
>This week I have been reading all the comments on Peanuts Hucko with
>great interest and I am still amazed about the fact that so many
>afficianados are able to start so many digital fights about Art Tatum.
>
>Maybe, in all your knoweledge end wisdom you can help me. I am looking
>fot a LP-record of CD of Sharkey Bonano, which I used to play in my
>younger years. It contains a song, performed by a female singer, with
>lyrics in French and English. The songlyrics - in a way - go like: :
>'Nobody is gonna give me a piece of this jelly roll',
>or something like that.
>
>I could not find any information on the lists of CD-Universe, Amazon etc.
>
>And further on.....I keep reading the term 'OKOM'. Can anyone explain
>the meaning of this? ('The thrill of a kiss' was - many years ago -
>already explained to me by Satchmo and --- lucky bastard as I am ---
>by quite some girlfriends.....! )
>
>Best regards,
>
>Berry Zand Scholten
>Enkhuizen. Holland (Europe)
>tromboneplayer of the Mardi Gras Jazzband Enkhuizen and
>The Pepper House Swing Factory.
>Email: bzssvs at wxs.nl

Dear Berry,

Welcome! The best (in fact, to my knowledge, the ONLY) Sharkey Bonano CD
presently available is on the "Timeless"/ "Chris Barber Collection" label- CBC
1-001, "Sharkey Bonano featuring Santo Pecora, Irving Fazola, Eddie Condon,
George Brunies".

It does not, however feature the number you refer to, which I presume is "I
Ain't Gonna Give Nobody None of My Jelly Roll". Maybe some more learned
listmate can help you on that.

Like you, I was mystified by what "OKOM" meant for a long while, before working
out that it stood for "Our Kind Of Music" - not a bad term to use if you wish
to avoid the dogmatic terms "trad(itional)" and "dixieland" (arghhh...)

Best wishes,

Jim Denham