[Dixielandjazz] Improvisation - was Bios

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 25 19:54:47 PDT 2003

>Dan Augustine wrote in his bio:

>Still want to learn how to improvise (i hear it in my head, but can't
play it)

Dear Dan:

That is a common problem with classically trained musicians. My advice
is to block out what you hear in your head as you are playing. Many got
this advice from Miles Davis who said something like: "Man, when you
hear an idea in your head while in the midst of a solo, don't try and
play it because you will 'screw' it up."

I don't know about others, but my improvs just come out as if someone
else was playing the horn. If I consciously try and play a phrase that I
liked previously, again (same song different night) I will almost always
screw it up, unless it is a pet lick that I use often. Sometime playing
with Tex Wyndham, he'll say hey that was neat. you pought to put it into
your solo all the time. I won't know what he's talking about because I
don't know what I just played.

I can't think creativily with my conscious mind and play at the same
time, except to throw in a quick sexy quote when a pretty woman walks
by, but then, I've memorized all those, in every tempo and every key.

Somehow I hear the relationship of the notes to the chords automatically
without identifying either. Same in the ensemble. Somehow, I hear the
relationships of what we're all playing as it occurs and play my part,
which may differ from the usual Dixieland clarinet line. In effect, I
forget all my musical training and/or the rules about how one should
play. What about others? What do you hear and/or play?

My advice, either write your solos out in advance and read or memorize
them, or try and make your mind blank when solo time comes around.

Cheers, and keep at it,
Steve Barbone