[Dixielandjazz] Improvisation - was Bios

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Wed Jun 25 18:08:50 PDT 2003

My two cents worth.

I notice that when I improvise, it is as if someone else is playing.  I
listen and am surprised with what I hear.

However, at the same time, occasionally, I tell myself that I want to start
on the 3rd of the chord and then go from there. Or, "Start high and move
low", or, "Play this next one in the bottom register". Or, "I think I'll
start with a C to C glissando". So, once in a while, there is some
conscience direction.

I think the fingers have a mind of their own.

Russ Guarino