[Dixielandjazz] Bio: Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan tduncan at bellatlantic.net
Wed Jun 25 19:06:49 PDT 2003

Born 1938 and raised in the Eastern Cleveland Ohio suburbs. Took clarinet
lessons from ages 9 thru 12 and family bought me an Alexandre ebonite
clarinet. Played solo chair in high school concert band and took some
further lessons as a HS senior to prepare to play the Mozart Clarinet
Concerto in the state contest and did that. What I really enjoyed then from
about ages 14 to 16 was playing in a Dixieland band formed by Mike Barone,
now a modern jazz trombonist and long time arranger and big band leader,
still active in LA. Joe Lazzaro played trumpet and has remained active, now
in Seattle and for years played in Washington DC area with the DJML’s David
Littlefield (“Sheik”). Not active with any group at Rensselaer during
college, but had the opportunity to sit in with some greats (very late night
fraternity parties when no one, including the players, was feeling much
pain) such as Johnny Windhurst, Ed Hubble, Herman Autrey and Max Kaminsky.
Then, moved to New York and laid down the horn for over 30 years. . just no
associations with players, but did listen to lots of the jazz of all types
available in NYC. Still working as manufacturers rep in engineered products
for power, process and pollution control industries and married since 1967
to the very supportive Vivian. We have a boy and girl and I recently had the
joy of playing at our daughter’s wedding. When I picked up the horn again
about 15 years ago, Vivian encouraged me by replacing the old 1940’s student
horn with a Buffet and I jammed with friends increasingly for several years.
(We still have an annual New Years Eve bash with haggis and single malt, but
now we play a First Night gig and then have the party.)  The jazz camps
finally jump started more activity in playing and leading and I was
privileged to work with John Otto, Dan Levinson, Jim Rothermel and Noel
Kaletsky on reeds and learn further from other great OKOM musicians such as
Vince Giordano, Hal Smith and Jeff Barnhart. Heartily recommend these camps
for those wanting to advance in a concentrated and supportive atmosphere.
The several day span of constant work and jamming can be very musically
rewarding rewarding and also personally rewarding in the new friends made
around the world. For the last 5 and a half years lead, vocalize and play
clarinet, alto sax and a newly acquired C Melody with Dr. Dubious and the
Agnostics. We have played First Nights, street fairs, summer park concerts,
benefits, seniors residences and many private and corporate functions and
the group of jamming friends has coalesced as a working and, we hope,
entertaining band. Our core group is piano(female and a great vocalist),
cornet,banjo/guitar,clarinet and tenor sax. We augment as schedule and gig
economics allow with drums or washboard, tuba or bass sax and trombone.
Website is www.doctordubious.com.
The DJML is a great resource and I have met several posters and corresponded
with others, sharing comments, lead sheets, lyrics and the continuing joy of
OKOM. Thanks to Bob Ringwald for a good thread idea as well as his constant
work on this list.

Tom Duncan