[Dixielandjazz] Re: Hook's getting started

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 24 15:20:12 PDT 2003

> Charlie Hooks wrote:
>
> Then, in 1938 when I was nine, Charlie Tunstall showed up.  He was a former
> WWI Army bandmaster, and he would teach any horn to any kid for 50 cents a
> lesson.  That's at least 2 dollars a month  in modern money--a steal for any
> kid!

Ha, how many of us started that way? Reminds me of our trombonist, Glenn Dodson. In the small town of
Berwick PA when he was nine, (1938 also) a door to door music teacher showed up and said to Glenn.
"Hey kid, if you take 100 trombone lessons from me for $1 a lesson over the next year or two, I'll
throw the trombone in for free."

All downhill from there: Curtis Institute of Music, 3 years US Marine Band Washington D. C. (Yeah that
one), 9 years 1st Trombone New Orleans Symphony, (moonlighted with Hirt, Fountain et al) 3 years
Chicago Symphony, and 28 years as Principal Trombone, Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra (starting with
Ormandy). Retired 8 years ago, taught awhile at Curtis afterwards, plays with us, plays with and
arranges music for a trombone octet that he leads.

Hell of a bass trumpet player also.

Yes, he still has the original "free" horn. Bless that smooth talking music teacher/salesman.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone