[Dixielandjazz] biogs

Grahame Parker parkerjaz at msn.com
Tue Jun 24 15:36:47 PDT 2003

I'm enjoying the bios of those members of the list who have come forth.
For what it's worth, here's mine.
Born Liverpool UK 1947
Emigrated to Toronto 1954.
Learned trombone in high school, the best seven years of my life.
In high school played with a remakably bad band half way between dixieland
and Herb Alpert.
Met Trump Davidson who wanted to take us under his wing.
When Trump arrived for a scheduled meeting at one of our parctices he found
that
we were playing crap like "Wipeout". He wasn't impressed.
In last two years of high school, and for several years after
I was in naval reserve band. Played trombone, parade snare, parade tenor
drum,
sometimes bass drum and was learning to be drum major when long hair
became an issue. Played all over Canada, filling with regular navy bands in
the summer,
played for the Queen Mum in Halifax in 1967.
Didn't play for several years and then while in Edmonton in 1974 opening a
branch
for an insurance company took banjo lessons at the House of Banjo.
Returned to Toronto and took lessons with Tim Allen who I had played in a
high school
dance band for a short time.
About 1976 became a founding member of the Excelsior Jazz Band.
Played regular saturday afternoons at The Ports. Stayed several years.
Doug Burnley, listmate lurking in Florida was a member of that band.
Then had my own bands, Jazz Bandits in Orangeville Ont and Rosebud
Serenaders in Toronto.
Brian Ogilvy and Borgy Borgerson were sometime members of that band.
Also used Jazz Bandit name in short-lived band in Erie Pa in 1990.
Replaced listmate Brian Towers in Sensation Jazz Band in Kitchener Ont in
1986. Another lurker, Trevor Hodgson was also in that band. Stayed till move
to USA.
Did jazz programs on two campus radio stations in western PA in 1989-1992.
Took Soprano Sax lessons from Paul Brodie (Toronto) and later Gabe Carnella
( Phoenix)
totalling five years. Also took mandolin lessons due to interest in western
swing and Jethro Burns.
Lived in Seattle for several years . Was frequent filler-in with the Aint No
Heaven Seven
and a member of Seattle Hunch led by another lurker, Vern Redeker.
Now live in Phoenix AZ having opened my own insurance adjusting company, now
have lots of time to practice.
Let's see some more bios'

Grahame Parker
trombone redux