[Dixielandjazz] Oh Vay!

Bob Fawcett fawcett.r at rogers.com
Tue Jun 24 14:44:12 PDT 2003

This is the weekend of the Hot Steamed Jazz Festival in Essex CT.  Helen and
I will be attending and will be looking to say hello to any other DJML
members in attendance.

Great lineup this year so we are really looking foreward to the festival.

The 2003 Festival Highlights:
* Jambalaya
* Galvanized Jazz Band
* Ragweed Jazz Band
* Harlem Blues & Jazz Band
* Wolverine Jazz Band
* New Black Eagles
* Riverboat Ramblers
* Roof Garden Jass Band
* Orphan Newsboys With Peter Ecklund & Marty Grosz
* Ruth Brisbane
* Neville Dickie
* Dan Levinson's Apex Project
* Independence Hall Jazz Band
* Vince Giordano's Nighthawks
* Tom Robert's Incomparables - Tribute To Jelly Roll

I couldn't resist sending the little joke below (may appeal to the American
members most).

Bob (DJML lurker)
-----------------------
The symphony orchestra was performing Beethoven's Ninth. In the piece,
there's a long passage, about 20 minutes, during which the bass violinists
have nothing to do. Rather than sit around that whole time looking stupid,
some bassists decided to sneak offstage and go to the tavern next door for a
quick one.

After slamming several beers in quick succession, one of them looked at his
watch and said, "Hey! We need to get back!"

"No need to panic," said a fellow bassist. "I thought we might need some
extra time, so I tied the last few pages of the conductor's score together
with string. It'll take him a few minutes to get it untangled."

A few moments later they staggered back to the concert hall and took their
places in the orchestra. About this time, a member of the audience noticed
the conductor seemed a bit edgy and said as much to her companion. "Well, of
course," said her companion. "Don't you see? It's the bottom of the Ninth,
the score is tied, and the bassists are loaded."