[Dixielandjazz] RE: LVB WAM and how good do we have it?

tito martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Tue Jun 24 05:45:45 PDT 2003

Hi all and especially you, Big Bill "Thimbles"!

First of all, how nice was to know you personally and play with the
powerhouse Cell Block 7! I'm ashamed not to have spared more time to
chat a little more with you and Bob Romans and the others, and how I
regret to have missed the last opportunity to play again with you all
the last night, but you certainly understand, it was my first time in
Sacto and I was absolutely overwhelmed by the multitude of good Bands to
see; wanted to be in three or four places at same time!

About your comments to my post, I must agree "swing hadn't been invented
yet". But from that infer LVB and WAM would have been able to swing, is
what I call a "suppository hypothesis".   ;-)

Nevertheless, your offered evidence is conclusive, "et pour cause", just
because, quote,  "These are two that we shall not see the likes of
again. - Jim Beebe".

I "Love them symphonies" myself, both LVB and WAM are my idols in the
same altar shrine with Bechet and Louis, and as a matter of fact, I
spend much more time listening to their complete Concerts and Symphonies
and Sonatas, plus Prokofiev and Shostakovich and Brahms and their gang,
than I listen to OKOM!

And whenever possible (every weekend as usual) I do the same as our
listmate Dan Augustine told us in his funny and spirited last post and
listen to good music while cooking "haute cuisine" dishes for me and my
wife and sometimes a couple of friends; and we like good wine too.
(Hey, Dan, I ringed three days to your Hotel room in Sacto but it seems
you were busier than me!)

 Let's say again: how good do we have it?

Tito "Bon Vivant" Martino

Hi all, especially you, Tito,

you wrote:

>This simple fact is: there are MUSICIANS and there are JAZZMEN, and
>these categories are clearly distinct and quite easily identifiable
>when taken in its extremes.
>
>Example: Beethoven and Mozart are MUSICIANS but are NOT JAZZMEN.  (they

>just couldn't swing!)

I don't think I would go so far as toi claim that Ludwig and Wolfgang
"couldn't swing."  I have a hunch that they would have been able to
swing
with the best of us had the jazz genre been part of the classical
milieu.  I
think your sentence would have been more acceptable to me had you said
"Beethoven and Mozart were MUSICIANS and NOT JAZZMEN. (swing hadn't been

invented yet).

Furthermore - I think LVB and WAM swung the shit out of the musical
idiom
they virtually invented!!!

I offer as evidence the first movement of Beethoven's sixth and Mozart's

40th!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Love them symphonies" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com