[Dixielandjazz] Re: Tatum and Sandoval

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 23 05:43:57 PDT 2003

Hi all, especially you, Tito,

you wrote:

>This simple fact is: there are MUSICIANS and there are JAZZMEN, and
>these categories are clearly distinct and quite easily identifiable when
>taken in its extremes.
>
>Example: Beethoven and Mozart are MUSICIANS but are NOT JAZZMEN.  (they
>just couldn't swing!)

I don't think I would go so far as toi claim that Ludwig and Wolfgang
"couldn't swing."  I have a hunch that they would have been able to swing
with the best of us had the jazz genre been part of the classical milieu.  I
think your sentence would have been more acceptable to me had you said
"Beethoven and Mozart were MUSICIANS and NOT JAZZMEN. (swing hadn't been
invented yet).

Furthermore - I think LVB and WAM swung the shit out of the musical idiom
they virtually invented!!!

I offer as evidence the first movement of Beethoven's sixth and Mozart's
40th!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Love them symphonies" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com