[Dixielandjazz] Fist post - Request for Musicians

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Sun Jun 22 16:29:21 PDT 2003

 Larry Weil kc1ih at mac.com writes in part:

 > I'm new on this list.  I've been reading it for about a week, and
> this is my first post.  To tell you all the truth, I don't know if
> I'm going to stay on the list much longer.  The volume of mail is
> just too much, and I can't spend all day reading a few people arguing
> back-and-forth about who's the best pianist, trumpeter, etc.  I have
> a life!

Dear Larry,

Glad to have you on the list & please stay on.  We have a great group here &
as you meet them in your travels, you'll get to know the various members
personally.

As far as the arguing, (we prefer to call it discussing) just look @ the
subject line & delete the posts that you do not want to read.

Subjects (threads) vary from week to week.  While they are hitting the piano
& tpt threads pretty hot & heavy this week, next week it will be something
completely different.  Give it a chance.  All of a sudden a subject of which
you are interested in will pop up.

> The one request I have of the musicians is to do a better job
> marketing yourselves.  It's a shame to find out about a concert I
> would have liked to attend in my area (southern NH or greater Boston,
> US) on the day after it happened.  Be sure to send your listings to
> all the newspapers covering an area, and do so enough in advance for
> people to make plans.
>
> Another source I wish more of you would use is
> http://www.musi-cal.com.  This is a database where one can search for
> concerts on a particular date and within a chosen radius from a
> location.  I don't know if it's worldwide, but it worked for me last
> time I was in London.  While it seems to be used mostly by folk
> musicians, they will accept listings for any kind of music.  This may
> be a good way for people to discover an interest they didn't know
> they had.
>
> And another thing, when sending out listing information be sure to
> include contact information for both yourself and the venue.  Don't
> assume everyone knows where the venue is located and what time
> concerts start there, some of us may not, especially if we are
> visiting the area.

These are all very good ideas.  It might be nice for some of us old timers
on the list to reintroduce ourselves to the List as we have a lot of new
members.  I'll do that in a separate post.

> Also please let your fans know when you are
> playing in a smoke-free venue, since many of us do not find it
> enjoyable to sit for several hours in a place where the air is going
> to make us sick,  no matter how good the music.

Another very good idea.  Out here in California, all venues are smoke free,
including bars & restaurants.  We were just in Ohio playing a festival last
weekend & what a shock to walk into a restaurant & smell smoke while you are
eating.

I, along with 3 other DJML members, Ralph Thompson banjo, Bill Gunter
washboard, Art Terry washtub bass, known as The Boondockers see

http://www.theboondockers.com

will be appearing in central California this next weekend:

Sat night 6/28 5:30 - 8:30 PM Branch Street Deli, Arroyo Grande;
Sun afternoon 6/29 1:00 - 4:30 PM Basin Street Regulars, Jazz Club in Pismo
Beach.

The Boondockers is a 7 piece Jazz/Comedy band.

Again Larry, stick it out, you'll enjoy.

73,

Bob Ringwald
DJML Moderator
Placerville, CA