[Dixielandjazz] Fist post - Request for Musicians

Larry Weil kc1ih at mac.com
Sun Jun 22 18:55:09 PDT 2003

Hi Everyone,

I'm new on this list.  I've been reading it for about a week, and
this is my first post.  To tell you all the truth, I don't know if
I'm going to stay on the list much longer.  The volume of mail is
just too much, and I can't spend all day reading a few people arguing
back-and-forth about who's the best pianist, trumpeter, etc.  I have
a life!

The one request I have of the musicians is to do a better job
marketing yourselves.  It's a shame to find out about a concert I
would have liked to attend in my area (southern NH or greater Boston,
US) on the day after it happened.  Be sure to send your listings to
all the newspapers covering an area, and do so enough in advance for
people to make plans.

Another source I wish more of you would use is
http://www.musi-cal.com.  This is a database where one can search for
concerts on a particular date and within a chosen radius from a
location.  I don't know if it's worldwide, but it worked for me last
time I was in London.  While it seems to be used mostly by folk
musicians, they will accept listings for any kind of music.  This may
be a good way for people to discover an interest they didn't know
they had.

And another thing, when sending out listing information be sure to
include contact information for both yourself and the venue.  Don't
assume everyone knows where the venue is located and what time
concerts start there, some of us may not, especially if we are
visiting the area.  Also please let your fans know when you are
playing in a smoke-free venue, since many of us do not find it
enjoyable to sit for several hours in a place where the air is going
to make us sick,  no matter how good the music.

That being said, I will stay on the list for at least a few more days
to see if there are any replies to this message.

Is anyone playing near Burlington, VT next weekend?  I'm looking for
something to do next Sunday night while I'm there.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH