[Dixielandjazz] Art Tatum

Nickdragos at cs.com Nickdragos at cs.com
Sun Jun 22 13:53:46 PDT 2003

Listmates,

Regardless of personal opinions on Art Tatum, a truly fine summation is
included in James Lester's bio of Tatum, "Too Marvelous For Words: The Life &
Genius Of Art Tatum" {Oxford University Press, hardcover ISBN 0-19-5-8365-2, 1994}.

(this is actually on an un-numbered following the main body of the biography
& before the notes & index):

"The English pianist Alan Clare was once intrigued with a workman who was
carrying out some remodeling inside his house. Clare was playing some recordings,
and he began to notice that the workman was whistling along with whatever
music he put on - Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, it didn't seem to matter. Even if he
hadn't heard it before he had the natural musical ability to follow a melody
closely and almost automatically. Clare decided to give him a real test and dug
up his recording of Art Tatum doing "Tea For Two", with the ground-breaking
chord changes Tatum introduced into the tune. The workman never lost a beat nor
did he lay out for a bar or two to figure out what was going on. He tracked
Tatum flawlessly through all the changes, and when the record ended, he spoke
for the first time. He glanced at Clare and with classic English understatement
said, "Tricky f****r, ain't he?"

I must admit my own personal admiration of Tatum runs deep; when I was 9
years old, and in the midst of several years of piano lessons, I heard Tatum's
1949 Capitol solo recording of "Willow Weep For Me".....

So much for my continuing lessons..........

Cheers from Sacramento, California
Nick Dragos
NickDragos at cs.com