[Dixielandjazz] Arturo Sandoval online

anichols anichols at gis.net
Sun Jun 22 13:42:56 PDT 2003

jazzjerry wrote:
>By the way who is Anthuro Sandoval? I have never sold one of his albums or
>for that matter ever been asked for one.

For a wonderful hour-long interview with Arturo Sandoval that took place on
May 02, 2003 go to:

        http://www.theconnection.org/shows/2003/05/20030502_b_main.asp

And click on 'Listen to Show' at bottom of shows description.

The origin of the show is at PBS's WBUR.org, and here's what they say about
Arturo Sandoval:

Arturo Sandoval's Trumpet Evolution
Trumpet Evolution. Grammy-winning trumpeter Arturo Sandoval channels the
legends of the horn. He celebrates and recreates the work of the giants,
from Louie Armstrong to Wynton Marsalis, and the high notes in between. -
(Friday, May 02, 2003)

        Thirteen years ago Arturo Sandoval made the news as a man fleeing
the constraints of Fidel Castro. Now he is recognized around the world as
one of the finest, one of the most versatile, trumpet players of all time.
His life, from his early days as the son of a mechanic living in a dirt
floor house, to his Carnegie Hall collaboration with Dizzy Gillespie has
been retold in a movie. His music, is a synthesis and a celebration of all
the greats who came before him and shaped his sound.
We'll take a musical tour through the brass turns of trumpet history, from
stars like Louis Armstrong and Chet Baker, and a few other lesser known
horn players, and hear the music of a man who stands at the top. The low
soft ballads, and the amazing high notes of Arturo Sandoval.

Norm Nichols
anichols at gis.net