Fw: [Dixielandjazz] Art Tatum Still King

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Sun Jun 22 13:41:53 PDT 2003

In a message dated 6/22/2003 12:33:44 AM Central Standard Time,
stridepiano at tesco.net writes:

> However that does not alter another fact - that when it
> came to playing jazz piano Art Tatum could wipe the floor with all the
> opposition.

   This is quite patently untrue.  Yes, he could play incredible runs faster
than anyone else but there are any number of much more interesting pianists.

 To this > day he remains the most accomplished keyboard artist the world has
> ever
> seen, I doubt that we shall ever see his like again.

   Besides any number of other great jazz pianists you seem to be overlooking
two great pianists, Ludwig von Beethoven and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.  These
are two that we shall not see the likes of again.

Jim Beebe