[Dixielandjazz] Trumpet Evolution in Jazz

KenASlater at aol.com KenASlater at aol.com
Sat Jun 21 06:09:27 PDT 2003

barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> Saw Arturo Sandoval perform a tribute to Clifford Brown Wednesday night
> and got him to sign my Sandoval CDs, Including "Trumpet Evolution" just
> released on Crescent Moon Records. Once again, I urge all of you to buy
> this short course on the evolution of jazz trumpet. He pays accurate
> homage to 19 trumpet players as follows: (by their date of birth)
>
> The homage's are:
>
> King Oliver  via Dippermouth Blues
> Louis Armstrong via Sleepy Time Down South
> Bix Beiderbecke via At The Jazz Band Ball
> ALL DONE IN GREAT DIXIELAND STYLE, THEN
> Rafael Mendez via La Virgen De La Macarena
> Bunny Berrigan via I Can't Get Started (vocal too)
> Cootie Williams via Concerto For Cootie
> Roy Eldridge via Little Jazz
> Harry James via The Man With A Horn
> Dizzy Gillespie via Manteca
> Clark Terry via Tee Pee Time
> Timofei Dokshizer via Coloratura Concerto For Soprano
> Fats Navarro via Nostalgia
> Miles Davis via Round Midnight
> Maynard Ferguson via Maynard Ferguson
> Chet Baker via My Funny Valentine
> Clifford Brown via Joy Spring
> Maurice Andre via Concerto In D Major
> Freddie Hubbard via Up Jumped Spring
> Wynton Marsalis via Later
>
> This record is a MONSTER accomplishment of different trumpet styles.
> There is nobody else on the planet who could have done what he did on
> it.
>
> Trumpet players, listen and be awed.
> Jazz fans, listen and hear the joy and the message this man communicates
> so beautifully via trumpet, cornet and fluegelhorn.
>
> It is awesome, right down to the accompaniment which includes a stunning
> big band, a stunning Dixieland band, complete with bass sax on the Bix
> number and a neat clarinet player.
>
> He sounds like each of the masters he pays homage to. Like when he does
> Roy Eldridge, I hear what I heard playing next to little Jazz 50 years
> ago. If you are a Strict OKOM fan you will like everything up to Dizzy
> Gillespie. Plus Chet Baker and that alone makes this CD worth buying.
> Broader based jazz fans will be blown away by the entire CD.
>
> If you like trumpet, or like jazz, hear this one and be awed. Run out
> and buy it right now. WOW.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone
>

> Steve

Many thanks for the reminder - I had this CD on my list but somhow managed to
forget it. I've rectified htat and I'm listening to it now. I agree with
everything you say - each track is as good as the original but it has that extra
ingredient called Arturo.

I've been a Sandoval enthusiast since I first saw him at Ronnie Scott's in
London in the mid-80's and he can't play a wrong note for me so I could be
accused of bias. However 'Trumpet Evolution' has confirmed my confidence in his
ability — he seems to get better every time.

My only regret is that I wasn't over there so he could sign my copy.

Best Wishes

Ken
London
P.S. Do you have his 'I Remember Clifford' CD - not OKOM (as far as this list
is concerned) but it's another masterpiece.