[Dixielandjazz] Trumpet Evolution in Jazz

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 21 11:21:57 PDT 2003

Hi List mates & Ken

Yes, I have his "I Remember Clifford". Clifford Brown was a major hero
to me in the 50s, (along with Monk & Bird) even though I'm primarily an
OKOM Clarinet Player.

I went to Philadelphia specifically to hear and meet Brownie after
talking with trumpeters in NYC., Phil Napoleon, Pee Wee Irwin, Billy
Butterfield and Roy Eldridge who were astounded by what Brown was
playing.  Yeah, that's right listmates, the OKOMers in those days were
not as narrow minded as many of us are today. They appreciated the
genius of those who were "players" and Brownie was indeed a player, just
as Sandoval is today.

Three of us in my band, Barbone Street, knew Brown. One played and
recorded with him. At this year's Clifford Brown Festival our bass
player Ace Tesone, was the only performer among all of the various
performers who had played with Brown. Several fans came up and got his
autograph on the album, The Beginning and The End which Ace is on with
Brownie, recorded a few hours before Brownie was killed in that auto
crash in 1956.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone