[Dixielandjazz] Riverwalk, Live From the Landing

Texasjazzlover rebecca.e.thompson at verizon.net
Tue Jun 10 22:35:55 PDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com
[mailto:dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com]On Behalf Of
JimDBB at aol.com

Well, now that you got me started on this I'll push it a bit farther. It
seems to me almost that David Holt has taken over the show. He does most of
the talking with Jim chiming in once in awhile and it all sounds
scripted...nothing wrong with that. but a little  honest casualness could
loosen up this show.
=============================
Jim, my husband and I have attended several of the Riverwalk tapings.  You
would be surprised at the work that goes into producing one of those shows.
Yes, it is scripted, but sometimes adlibs just don't fit into the time slot!
The musicians even use their sheet music for these tapings (although loosely
arranged) so that they all stay on tract and don't go off into unchartered
territory and let the time get away from them.  Each song is timed and
managed so that the entire performance can "fit" the station's programming.
Also, because of the cost of producing shows, many of the programs are cut
and pasted and regrouped into new shows with slightly different subject
matter and David Holt is used to help these all fit together.

However, like you, I would like to hear just a regular set with just good
music and no particular story involved. I like the relaxed sound that comes
from the JCJB when they are NOT taping.  Perhaps that could be the "subject"
for an upcoming show!

Regards.

Rebecca Thompson
Flower Mound, TX