[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Hot" music on Riverwalk

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Tue Jun 10 22:42:07 PDT 2003

In a message dated 6/9/2003 12:36:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, mophandl at landing.com writes:

> Jim Beebe writes:
>
> <<Dick Sudhalter prefers and uses the term "Hot music" to denote
> the classic end of jazz that we all love so much.  I throw my hat in for
> "Hot" music.>>
>
> I think you have to have "jazz" in there somewhere or else people will think
> you're talking about the soundtrack to a porno.
>
> <<One of the problems with Riverwalk is the 'Public' radio stations throw it
> on at odd hours...apparently hours that they need to fill something in
> with.>>
>
> Some do, others put us on in prime time and get loud complaints from
> listeners when they try to move it to a different time slot.
>
> <<A bigger problem with Riverwalk is that it comes off too much as 'Jazz
> appreciation 101'.  I"ve had to turn it off more than once.
>
> If Jim Cullum would get rid of David Holt and producer Margaret Pick and
> just do some relaxed shows of good swinging 'Hot' music, and forget the
> lectures and other BS I think that the listenership would increase
> dramatically.>>
>
> Speaking only for myself, I am glad that the producers are aiming at a
> general audience. The tiny but informed audience of jazz fans already knows
> "mass quantities" of jazz knowledge, and if we had to depend on them (vital
> thought they are), we would never have attracted a national audience in the
> first place. I reguarly get email from fans who tell me how much they enjoy
> learning new things about jazz, about how they never knew that jazz could be
> so melodic and enjoyable, that they always avoided jazz before because it
> seemed difficult, dense, or "too inside" for them. I liked the way one of
> you put it (was it you, Jim?): modern jazz groups play as if they're firing
> intelligence tests at the audience from the bandstand. (I've used that line
> with people--it works).
>
> Iin fact, when I talk with patrons of the Landing in San Antonio, I much
> prefer talking to a person who knows nothing about jazz to a "modern" jazz
> fan. The latter is often a losing proposition and proves that a little
> knowledge can be dangerous.
>
> So, Jim, with all the respect that is due to you, if Riverwalk pisses you
> off that much so that you feel you have to turn it off (or maybe pick up the
> radio and throw it against the wall), remember: we are not
> trying to come
> off as condescending to the Jim Beebes of our audience.

Well, I stand properly chastised by Rebecca and Don Mopsick. I did overstate my case a bit for dramatic effect.  The thought of legions of Riverwalk fans rising up against me does give one pause.

I did, in fact, this past week listen to Riverwalk in its entirety, and a good show it was. Still, I couldn't help  thinking...please, back off of the lectures a bit...just a tiny bit.

Well, now that you got me started on this I'll push it a bit farther. It seems to me almost that David Holt has taken over the show. He does most of the talking with Jim chiming in once in awhile and it all sounds scripted...nothing wrong with that. but a little  honest casualness could loosen up this show.

I respect your playing a lot, Don, and I don't say that lightly as I have played with the best bass players in chicago and there are no better anywhere. and I greatly respect Jim and all the guys in the band.

I frankly don't think that Jim Cullum has been given his due in regard to the incredible work that he has done, maintaining a full time band, a club and a weekly radio show, and at the same time constantly evolving as one of the best jazz
cornetists around. I"ve known Jim since he was a teen ager and would come to chicago with his dad.  Jim's dad would concoct a job and get Nappy Trottier, myself and others to play with him.  Jim would sit in with his cornet.  About the same time, Ron Hockett was surfacing in a chicago area high school dixieland band called the Windjammers.

so, anyway my time is up on the computer here. A bit salute to you and the Riverwalk gang...with a little bit of nitpicking from myself.

Thanks to Rebecca for her input.

Jim Beebe