[Dixielandjazz] Riverwalk, Live From the Landing

Janie McCue Lynch janie51 at socal.rr.com
Tue Jun 10 21:35:25 PDT 2003

Rebecca writes, in part,

"You would be surprised at the work that goes into producing one of those
shows.
Yes, it is scripted, but sometimes adlibs just don't fit into the time slot!
The musicians even use their sheet music for these tapings (although loosely
arranged) so that they all stay on tract and don't go off into unchartered
territory and let the time get away from them.  "

Rebecca,

Thank you for your comments about the efforts put into performing in a
formal setting for a show.  They were enlightening.  And may cause me to
rethink my feelings about the performance of the Cullum Jazz Band last
month, which left me stone cold. At least, I will rethink them on the
intellectual level, perhaps not on the emotional.

At the Sacramento Jubilee last month, we went to the Crest and stayed
through both sets of the Cullum taping. I was ready to leave before the end
of the first set; however, stayed because spouse and friends wished to.

The music was technically proficient, as always, but lacking spirit.  Dead.
The clarinetist (no  names here)  was slumped down in the first row, looking
bored as all get out, and his performance reflected that. (I mean, perhaps
he could have at least pretended he was interested? )

THEN we saw the group at the Edgewater Ballroom at the Radisson....dressed
casually and PLAYING......having fun..or at least giving the impression that
they were....and conveying same to audience.  Great show.  Enjoyed them
immensely.

So, thank you for an informative comment from a different perspective.

Jane Lynch
janie51 at socal.rr.com