[Dixielandjazz] Re: Al Washington (was Memphis Nighthawks)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 9 21:24:40 PDT 2003

Dear Charlie,
Mention of Al Washington reminds me that he recorded on cl/ts with the Louis
Armstrong orch in Chicago on 11 sessions between 20 April 1931 (my birth date)
and 11 March 1932.
He is mentioned twice and has a half chorus solo on "Lonesome Road" from 6 Nov
1931.
Also solos and gets another mention on "I Got Rhythm" from the same session.
I haven't rechecked all the 24 titles involved but recall that he solos on a few
others.
There is a lot of great reed work throughout them all from Al Washington, Lester
Boone and George James.
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: I am playing some of them now and just heard brief AW solos on "Home", "All
Of Me", "Keeping Out Of Mischief Now".