[Dixielandjazz] Vacation

texasjazzlover texasjazzlover at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 3 18:47:16 PDT 2003

I think it was something like this that knocked everyone off DJML a couple of years.  Thanks for the reminder.

Rebecca Thompson
Flower Mound, TX

Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 18:18:57 -0700
From: david richoux <tubaman at batnet.com>
To: dixie <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>

Hi all,
I am on a lot of e-mail lists and this weekend I experienced something
that should never be repeated. A member of the Contrabass list (low
instruments and related musical topics) set all of his e-mail to
"Auto-Reply Vacation Mode" and went his merry way.

Little did he know that the Contrabass list was set up to automatically
send out all received messages, so a near infinite loop happened. The
Contrabass list manager was away for the weekend and had no computer
access so over 800 messages were sent to the list. (and more than 4000
messages went to the list manager!) People on the list tried contacting
the administrator of the vacationing e-mailer, the list and anybody
else that could help but we still got all of those messages...

There are list programs that can automatically detect and correct
problems like this but that was not the case here - so the big lesson
is:

When you go on vacation - set your mail to No Messages,  or
unsubscribe, or whatever, but NOT Auto-Reply!

anyway,