[Dixielandjazz] Re: lead sheet request

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Tue Jun 3 20:27:39 PDT 2003

Dearest Meg,
Ahah!
"Sleepy Hollow Rag."  by Clarence Wood (not Williams).
Rudi Blesh & Harriet Janis have this to say (They All Played Ragtime. 1950):
In Emil's (Seidel)) collection of sheet music appeared three further numbers by
(James) Scott's Carthage contemporary Clarence Woods. These were "Sleepy Hollow"
and "Graveyard Blues". published in 1918 by Seidel, and a fine earlier number,
"Slippery Elm Rag", 1912. Published in 1912 in Dallas, Texas. Woods had
evidently been around the Southwest for a number of years after leaving
Carthage, for an item in the January 1917 'Ragtime Review' still dates him in
this area: "An Austin, Texas paper has the following to say of a former
Carthage, Missouri boy: Clarence Woods, the new pianist at the Majestic, is
called the 'Ragtime Wonder of the South' and well deserves the title; because he
just makes the piano talk."
Mr Edward A Berlin (King Of Ragtime, 1994) doesn't mention him nor does one of
my favourite writers on the subject of Ragtime, Terry Waldo (This Is Ragtime.
1976).
Perhaps he (Woods, not Mr Waldo) was a 3 'hit' wonder.
So far as all the other "Graveyard" Blues are concerned, the beauty is in the
lyrics and performances, all based on the 12 bar blues motif.
I am sure there is more, now that we have dipped into this great world of early
music.
Very kind regards,
Bill.