[Dixielandjazz] Street Corner Music

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 30 01:06:43 PDT 2003

Bill Gunter asked for feedback on street musicians.

Last year I ran across a lone Sax player on the street next to the
University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. He had heard our band
playing in front of one of the University buildings and came over on
break.

I asked about his life. He would pick a street corner, open up his sax
case for donations and start to play. Not a bad musician. Played Bird
licks, modern jazz etc. along with popular ballads. He said:

Earnings average $150 per 6 hour day.

Cops sometimes hassle him and so he moves around.

Works 5 to 6 days a week.

Moves South in the winter.

Considering the non taxable aspects, that's not a bad gig if true.

Cheers,
Steve