[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 7, Issue 92

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 30 00:52:50 PDT 2003

> "Bill Gunter"  wrote (polite snip)
> -----> analogy
>
> The horse and buggy has been replaced by newer and more technical modes of
> transportation from the Model T to the SST.
>
> The horse and buggy is no longer a popular mode of transportation.
>
> You don't know anybody who has a horse and buggy in their garage/barn
> (unless you're Amish).

Not so. I have 3 horses and 2 buggies ( state of the art carriages) in my barn. We
engage in a sport called combined driving with them. It is now international, having
been started by HRH Prince Phillip about 1950 or so.

> The horse and buggy will never regain its former appeal.

Of course not, but it has gained considerably since 1950.

> There is no way you can increase the public's interest in the horse and
> buggy.

Wrong again, our local carriage club membership went from 10 to 450 in less than 5
years. National interest, carriage club memberships, etc., had similar results in
that time frame.

> But (This is "but" number 1) There are still people who love the horse and
> buggy. You find them transporting tourists around Central Park in New York -
> They're in Old Sacramento along the waterfront newly renovated as a
> touristattraction. They're at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. They are anywhere
> that people go for touristy type relaxation and adventure such as theme parks.
> There will always be a place for the individual who loves horses and buggies and
> who is willing to put time and effort into the care and feeding of his equipment.

True

> But (this is "but" number 2) there is no way anyone can INCREASE the public desire
> to tool around in a horse and buggy!

Not true. It is happening all over the world with people who engage in this sport,
and world championships are now held every year, for single horse, multiples and four
in hand carriages. It is a VERY big deal in Europe with event spectator counts at
25,000.

Our own annual event now gets 10,000 spectators and we convert folks to horse and
carriage every day. (Sept 5 - 7, 2003)
See: http://www.laurelscde.org  click on "2003"

Bad analogy Bill. Only because you are not familiar with horses and buggies. And so
you use conventional wisdom. However, for those who thought outside the box, a whole
new dimension of "Horse and Buggies" use opened up. With young people at the
forefront.

Horses and buggies are increasing in popularity as opposed to OKOM jazz Festival
attendance. They are very different. However, similar attendance increases among OKOM
audiences are possible, and being accomplished now by bands all, over the world. Our
own list mates can attest to that. The trick is simple, just quit thinking "old" and
"impossible".

Like the horse and buggies, think of ways new people can get involved. Think "young"
and "possible". That's where the audience is. Heck, you saw it yourself at the Iron
Hill Brewery with Barbone Street when you visited PA. You may not like the noise, or
the OKOM presentation, but that's where the audience is. And unlike the old folks,
the young folks stay till 1 AM.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone