[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 7, Issue 87

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Mon Jul 28 08:33:42 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/27/2003 9:17:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

> Subject: [Dixielandjazz] the life expectancy of Dixieland
>
> Tom has hit upon a very important point, I think, when he said: the truths of

Dixieland are:
1. There are no more rebels in it.
2. Those who play it are "preserving" and "protecting" and not doing
ANYTHING which could be considered innovative, exploratory, or avant garde.

If one can categorize Herb Albert as sort of a Mexican version of a Dixieland
recycling, the many possibilities for Dixieland rebirth are a bit more
visible. In other words, no jazz form ever sticks 100% with what went before, nor
does any classical or other music form. There's nothing wrong with preserving
and protecting the great innovations of the early part of the 20th century, but
there's nothing wrong with experimenting more with legitimate variations
either. I think the secret to success has always been loving what you're playing
and hearing musically, rather than listening for the cash register to ring.

Dan (piano fingers) Spink