[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 7, Issue 86

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Mon Jul 28 08:46:40 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/27/2003 3:14:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

> Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Top 10 Reasons--decline of Dixieland Jazz

To add a thought to Charles' well written explanations: It seems to me that
both classic ragtime and Dixieland suffer in large part from their incredible
success as icons--graphic and musical--and the locked up historical view of how
Dixieland (and Ragtime) evolved into more modern jazz forms. And we are the
ones locked into those stereotypes quite often. To innovate around or, "mess
with," Dixieland as a style today, in ways other than what Dizzy or other
modernists did is somehow assumed to be a rewriting of musical history. But why?
Balcolm wrote some great "new" ragtime (Gray Ghost) and the so-called fusion
movement (mixing jazz with rock) were two examples. Why don't we try to invent
beyond traditional Dixieland in our own styles? As long as respect the source, I
say, it could be very interesting.

Dan (piano fingers) Spink