[Dixielandjazz] is it in a decline?

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Mon Jul 28 01:53:22 PDT 2003

Bill answered my post by saying......
Of course what you say is true, but it is really not what the debate is
about. We're talking about whether or not dixieland will ever become
popular
(it won't) and why the art form is dwindling away (it is).

Ok, I did mention I hadn't seen the whole thread.  Still, if you're
wishing for Dixieland to be in the mainstream again, you would have to
pull a "Back to The Future" stunt.  As you say, "that ain't gonna
happen".  However, I don't see why bands can't continue to play and have
a good following, if they are a decent band that plays good, happy
music.  Perhaps the festival type playing in the U.S. is the downfall,
as the audience just dies off.

Better to play parties, street concerts, parks, clubs (if they are any
in your area), than the occasional festival.

Jim