[Dixielandjazz] What decline?

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 27 21:54:23 PDT 2003

Hi all,

Kash writ (concerning the diminishing of dixieland debate):

I wrote that, Jim. And I stand by it. Your response:

>La Canal Street Jazz Band plays a list of standard Dixieland tunes,
>along with others not so standard to the medium.  The freedom offered in
>Jazz is to be able to "play around" with that melody, those
>chords....and, try to create something new & exciting each & every time
>you play.  Sure, we usually stick to someone's particularly famous riff
>or solo, but not always.  Depends on the mood.  We play a slow tune
>fast, a fast tune slow, change the key, throw a few tricks at the other
>guys in the band....keep everyone on their toes, have a few laughs.  We
>are not a museum piece, nor must we "stick to the score" as the
>classical music guys must do.

Of course what you say is true, but it is really not what the debate is
about. We're talking about whether or not dixieland will ever become popular
(it won't) and why the art form is dwindling away (it is).  It has nothing
to do with what passing chords are played in a dixie tune or what freedoms
are taken in an improvisational chorus.  Those are always a standard part of
playing the genre.

But those freedoms do not allow one to change the nature of dixieland. When
you hear someone screw up the dixieland idiom you'll know it and react
accordingly. You may like it, you may not. You may embrace it - you may
reject it. But whatever it is, it ain't dixieland no more!

>This music doesn't take me back to my youth, although I began playing it
>when I was 15.  There's just something in that beat that lets me fly,
>and I resent anyone saying I'm committing an abomination by doing just
>that.....flying.  If I am, then this abomination draws huge crowds,
>sells lots of recordings, and keeps the band playing half the days of
>each month.  And, we're in our 35th. year togther!!

What you say is absolutely true, but it doesn't mean that dixieland is alive
and well. -- As an art form it is dying. Everyone of us in the DJML love it
every bit as much as you do.  But we don't delude ourselves into thinking
that if we show a little more enthusiasm the world will once again embrace
our music.

Tain't gonna happen.

Best,

Bill Gunter