[Dixielandjazz] Armstrong blindfold test

lswain at penrose.com lswain at penrose.com
Mon Jul 21 15:52:32 PDT 2003

Butch Thompson wrote:

> BTW, I did hear Louis live  three times, and it was a primary
> inspiration. If I had to rely solely on my memory of how he sounded in
> 1956, 1958, and 1962, however,  my recollection would probably  have
> dimmed considerably over the years.  What do you think?

I heard and saw Louis and Ella Fitzgerald from the first balcony at
Symphony Hall in Boston when I was in high school in the early '50s.
I was stunned by each of them.  But my take-away was simply that what
I heard was just the best, and I have no clear recollection of what
exactly how it went.

I agree that having the recordings to listen to makes all the
difference.  Of course it would be preferable to be be to listen to
Louis live as frequently as I have listened to his recordings, but...

Larry Swain

L. R. Swain

Penrose, Inc.
Professional Real Estate and other Web presence creation
http://www.Penrose.com