[Dixielandjazz] Armstrong blindfold test

Butch Thompson butcht at sihope.com
Mon Jul 21 14:08:29 PDT 2003

A recent post described Louis' inability to recognize a number of
distinctive  musicians from their recordings  -- George Lewis, Wild Bill,
and others.   This ought to remind us that the pioneers, of whom Louis is
the most prominent, didn't learn the music the way so many have done ever
since -- by listening to recordings.

For me, the sound of certain players is unmistakable, because I have
listened to their recordings obsessively.  Louis learned to play by
firsthand exposure to Joe Oliver et al (and, of course, by sheer native
genius); much of what I learn is by repetition of particular recorded
performances.  It's a big difference.

Without records, we would hear Louis only as he was passed down  by live
players.  I submit that this would  be a very different ball game.

Any thoughts, anybody?

Butch Thompson

BTW, I did hear Louis live  three times, and it was a primary inspiration.
If I had to rely solely on my memory of how he sounded in 1956, 1958, and
1962, however,  my recollection would probably  have  dimmed considerably
over the years.  What do you think?