[Dixielandjazz] Armstrong blindfold test

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 21 23:46:21 PDT 2003

Butch said
> A recent post described Louis' inability to recognize a number of
> distinctive  musicians from their recordings  -- George Lewis, Wild Bill,
> and others.   This ought to remind us that the pioneers, of whom Louis is
> the most prominent, didn't learn the music the way so many have done ever
> since -- by listening to recordings.

I think Butch has raised a very valid point. Jazz appreciation from a
listening point of view has become a retrospective exercise of necessity. In
Louis' day it was heard on every streeet corner - there were no recordings.
Younger players from out of town heard the ODJB records and reacted to them
but missed the down home beat that was bred into the New Orleans players.
Louis in the 30s and 40s may have had limited opportunity to catch Wild Bill
or George Lewis. His touring schedule must have been hectic.

> For me, the sound of certain players is unmistakable, because I have
> listened to their recordings obsessively.  Louis learned to play by
> firsthand exposure to Joe Oliver et al (and, of course, by sheer native
> genius); much of what I learn is by repetition of particular recorded
> performances.  It's a big difference.

This is so true and if I may say so it has paid off in spades in Butch's
case. His own playing demonstrates the depth of his knowledge of where the
music comes from.

> Without records, we would hear Louis only as he was passed down  by live
> players.  I submit that this would  be a very different ball game.

This is also true. Without the gramophone jazz may well have died out
altogether.

The blindfold test is an entertaining sideshow that I put on at some of my
festivals. Usually I have a few knowledgable musos, such as Cuff Billett,
Mike Pointon and Trevor Whiting and sometimes Colin Bowden, all of whom know
and live the music. I try to find less obvious tracks and get some very
interesting responses. There are very few times however, when I catch them
out. Its great fun and the audiece loves it.

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com