[Dixielandjazz] Bass Sax - Armstrong - Bolden

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 21 13:28:30 PDT 2003

The bass sax player on the Sandoval tribute to Bix (At The Jazz Band
Ball) on the Trumpet Evolution CD is indeed Greg Huckins. He is given
solo credit on the liner notes. Dan Higgins does the clarinet solo, and
Bill Reichenbach the trombone solo. Dan and Bill also solo on
"Dippermouth Blues.", while Sandoval does both first and second cornet
parts.

Don't think Armstrong was loud? Suggest you listen carefully to the 1923
rendition of "Chimes Blues" recorded at Gennett. When Louis solos, he is
louder than the whole band was. Hey, maybe he moved closer to the
recording horn? Also note on those Gennett's that the 2nd cornet part is
generally much softer than his solos. Had they been as loud as his solo
on Chimes, the balance would have been totally shot.
Another thing to consider is that with that recording equipment,
everybody was probably playing as loud as they could to register.

Obviously Louis knew how to modulate his volume, and he would say later
in life that the volume and the high notes were meant to intimidate
other trumpet players. He didn't do much of that after 1950 or so. No
doubt because he was more secure. However, there are many stories of how
his volume carried out in the streets of NYC and Chicago in the early
years and stopped people in their tracks. And, if you ever saw that
callus on his lip, you knew he didn't get that from playing like Chet
Baker. Why ignore, or try to disregard all of that?

Other than that, what can I tell you? I heard him in person several
times and can attest that everything anyone has on record from a studio
date, just doesn't compare in the slightest to what Louis Armstrong did
live. The man was loud in the 40s and 50s when no doubt he was playing
more softly than he had been in the 20s and 30s.

Don't think Bolden was loud? Oh my, what can I say. Suggest you read up
on his life. Especially good is list mate Dan Hardie's book about
Bolden. A very knowledgeable endeavor, rather than just the conjecture
that comes from the rest of us.

"The Loudest Trumpet" by Dan Hardie. READ IT.

Cheers,
Steve