[Dixielandjazz] "Copyin' Louis"

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 18 10:42:06 PDT 2003

Anton said
> What has not been discussed in any detail is the phenomenon of the "Louis
> sound-alikes" of the late 1920s. Were they as good as or better than
Louis?

There were some great players around in the 20s and 30s that in my view
could not have happened had Louis not pointed the way. As to whether they
were better instrumentalists than Louis is an arguable point. As to their
jazz credentials, for me it still has to be Louis, who while not perfect
(their are fluffs on virtually every Louis recording) is as nears as it
gets. The contruction of the solos, the lead, the phrasing etc are
wonderful.

> Henry Allen in 1929 and 1930 - brilliant playing from Allen and a band
> which swung in a way that Armstrong's big band associates could never come
> near.

Red came close. For a long while I had the view that he was the better
player - buts thats because I wanted to be argumentative (perish the
thought), but looking objectively Louis sounds completely formed.
Bill said
>The 1929-30 sides by Allen are certainly wonderful.
But what about the subsequent records with Billy Banks, Fletcher Henderson
and
Lucky Millinder up to1937?
Sheer brilliance and always full of inventiveness.

I couldn't agree more. And what about the two Red Allens with the Ory band
in '59. On Stage he was the Wild man, taking risks, but in the studio he was
more controlled and played some incredible solos, notably I Got Rhythm
(Which I had on LP and lost and I'm waitig for it come out on CD). As I
remember, he plays a tight mute before opening up and ivestigating the low
register of his horn then gradually increasing the tension. Great playing.

Anton said
> Jabbo Smith in 1929 - breath-taking virtuosity in a group which was "more
> like the Hot Five than the Hot Five".
Agree - but he was more inaccurate than Louis, perhaps more showy and had
not got the depth that Louis had.

> Jack Purvis in 1929 and 1930 - a genuine original who reminds us of both
> Armstrong and Beiderbecke at the same time.

I love the Purvis sides as well. Interesting thing is that all these guys
had their own individual voice because they lived the music and times was
'ard. Snatch Louis out of the waifs home and bing him up in Davenport and
would he have sounded like Bix? Who knows.

On another tack, I was listening to a recording my band made in 89 with Art
Hodes and Wild Bill Davison. It was the final day of a 15 or 16 day tour. We
played at the Albert Hall in Bolton. Here were two more of the great voices
of jazz, both totally original and both saying things in their own way. At
the age of 85 and 83 respectively, they still had more depth than any of us
or any of the players I hear on our scene these days. We were in the
presence of royalty.
I announced to the audience at the end of the show that they were witnessing
jazz history and said that we would be back with the Legends of American
Dixieland 1990. Sad to say Bill was gone within months and Art was ill after
that.
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com