[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Copyin' Louis"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Fri Jul 18 15:38:36 PDT 2003

Dear Anton,
As usual (well almost) I agree with your observations.
But with some reservations about your comments re Henry Allen Jr.
Certainly not an Armstrong copyist, even though intentionally hired by Victor in
1929 to counter Louis' popularity on record.
The 1929-30 sides by Allen are certainly wonderful.
But what about the subsequent records with Billy Banks, Fletcher Henderson and
Lucky Millinder up to1937?
Sheer brilliance and always full of inventiveness.
A coincidence that he and Louis played together in the Luis Russell band for a
few years?
Regarding Jack Purvis and the record "Copying Louis/Mental Strain At Dawn".
I have argued that the masters were probably mis-labelled for many, many years.
A careful listen to both sides should convince most people.
Kind regards,
Bill.