[Dixielandjazz] "Copyin' Louis"

Anton Crouch a.crouch at unsw.edu.au
Fri Jul 18 14:18:21 PDT 2003

Hello all

SteveB, ever the chameleon, has kept this thread going very well. I have to
say, though, that I prefer JimDBB's approach to the matter of Louis'
musical worth.

What has not been discussed in any detail is the phenomenon of the "Louis
sound-alikes" of the late 1920s. Were they as good as or better than Louis?

Some examples on record:

Henry Allen in 1929 and 1930 - brilliant playing from Allen and a band
which swung in a way that Armstrong's big band associates could never come
near.

Jabbo Smith in 1929 - breath-taking virtuosity in a group which was "more
like the Hot Five than the Hot Five".

Jack Purvis in 1929 and 1930 - a genuine original who reminds us of both
Armstrong and Beiderbecke at the same time.

All of the above are an absolute pleasure to listen to and are not simple
copyists. Whether they were as good as or better than Louis is musically
irrelevant.

Talking of Jack Purvis, do any list-mates have any views on Michael Brook's
suggestion that the titles "Copyin' Louis" and "Mental strain at dawn" (17
December 1929) were reversed when the records were issued?

All the best
Anton