[Dixielandjazz] FW: Vale Alvin Alcorn

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Fri Jul 18 14:10:32 PDT 2003

Dear friends,
With the sad new that Alvin Alcorn has left us, I hope no one minds if I re-post
a variation of a message I sent to Kash last year.
We Australians found Alvin to be a fine musician and a very friendly, gentle,
man.
(Which has been our experience with most, if not all, jazz musicians from New
Orleans.)
Kind regards,
Bill.

Alvin Alcorn, a charming man.
He came to Australia (touring with a Sydney-based New Orleans style band) in
March-April1973.
I spoke with his several times.
Some years later (1975) we were in New Orleans and went, without a reservation,
to the famous 'brunch' at Commander's Palace, where Alvin had a wandering trio.
It was packed, they let us in, but we had to wait in the bar for a table.
After about 10 minutes Alvin came in, recognised me as "Bill from Sydney", took
us out to a courtyard and sat us down with an American dentist and his friends,
who looked after us all day!
When I remarked to Alvin about his good memory, he asked what I did. An
architect. He said that I, no doubt, remembered lots of things about my job.
His job, he said, was entertaining people - and he had developed a good memory
for faces, first names and locations.
He even played a song chorus for both of us, with the trumpet bell right over
our ear!
Soft, low, and every note crystal clear. Wonderful lip and breath control.
I gather that this was one of his special features.
Later in the week he introduced us ("my friend Bill and his wife Jess from
Sydney, Australia") to the audience at the little French Quarter cafe were he
played at night.
As I often say, jazz is a wonderful family to belong to.
Bill.