[Dixielandjazz] Leonard Feather

TBW504 at aol.com TBW504 at aol.com
Thu Jul 17 13:06:09 PDT 2003

I've just read a piece in JazzBeat by Jim Beebe excoriating Leonard Feather.
Is this by any chance the Jim Beebe who posts to DJML? If so, congratulations,
sir! I've long held a very low opinion of Master Feather and it was salutory
to read such a comprehensive exposure of his nastiness. From the late 1940s
those of us in Britain who were unaware that it was not possible to enjoy both
George Lewis and Charlie Parker (or Jelly Roll Morton and Bud Powell) became
increasingly glad that the scumbag Feather had quit these shores for America. I
usually try to follow the example set by Marcel Joly and rarely bad-mouth
other humans but for Feather I make an exception.
Brian Wood