[Dixielandjazz] Leonard Feather

Richard Broadie richard.broadie at gte.net
Mon Jul 21 14:13:45 PDT 2003

I have had many experiences with Mr. Feather.  Until today, I would have
written volumes for the djml.  Since you have inspired me to write a book,
I've decided to force you to purchase that information at Barnes & Noble!
:-)   Musical content:  Who's Sorry Now!   :-)

Jack Sheldon used to discuss the "Leonard Feather Diet."   This is where
Leonard invites you, the musician, for lunch, and while you're eating, he
critiques your playing.   This likely led many fine players to starvation,
if true.   I felt so sorry for Jack when Leonard died.  Jack instantaneously
lost 57% of his comedy routines.

(Oh heck!  Here's chapeter 19 from my life story.)

I wish I  could say I actually liked Leonard.  I did enjoy reading his LA
Times columns and frequently found them informative causing me to listen to
many musicians in the LA area in the 1960's I  would have otherwise ignored.
On the other hand, there were many times when I profoundly disagreed with
him.

He mentioned my name in print twice.   The first time I was playing bass
with a nice clean tasty little be bop band.  He loved our playing and in
print stated something like "And Richard Bardoie's bass playing was the
anchor that absolutely made the whole performance work."   Of course my
parents didn't even recognize my name with that spelling.   The second time
he reviewed me, I was playing clarinet with a trad band.   My memory
(defense mechanism for those psychiatrically inclined) has blocked the
traumatic description he printed about me and our band on this second
occasion.  Of course that time he spelled my name Richard Broadie.  My
parents did recognize my name that time, but hardly expressed enthusiasm!

I had a friendly conversation with him in a parking lot a few months before
he died.  I'm glad I can remember him that way.  Dick B