[Dixielandjazz] Re: Better Players

Richard Broadie richard.broadie at gte.net
Wed Jul 16 14:22:06 PDT 2003

On intro of Louis Armstrong's  West End Blues, he plays every note in the
chromatic scale compressed in very few measures.  For his time,. Louis was
harmoniclly on the moon!

Clifford was extremely crative and talened but was exposed to a vastly
different musical environment in his development than that of Armstrong
which, of course, provided Clifford with an entirely different reference
point both in time and harmonic genre.

I can see absolutely no point in arguing as to which is the better musician,
by any criteria.

To me, a far more interesting question is what if Louis had been born in
Wilmington, DE in 1930 and Clifford in New Orleans LA circa 1901.   Would
the roles be reversed?

Dick Broadie