[Dixielandjazz] West End Blues was Better Players

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Wed Jul 16 19:22:50 PDT 2003

For me, Dick, it wasn't the fact that he played each note in the chromatic
scale but his rhythm in doing it. When I hear it, I know that great jazz is
coming. He has a similar run which begins with a sustained note in his last
solo right after Earl Hines piano. That is another classic solo which many
have tried to emulate but have failed.

I can't help but to be carried along with the music. That is an ability
which modern players have lost. All the elements of great music are there -
surprise, anticipation, improvisation.

You ask what would have happened if Clifford Brown and Louis Armstrong's
birthdate and place were reversed?

I'll have to meditate on that... for the rest of my life.

Stan
Stan Brager